How to stay productive while working from home
Working from home can be a tedious and arduous task, often leading to burnouts and loss of motivation. As more and more people start to work from home during this taxing time period, Team EBR has gathered some handy tips to help you stay productive and enable you to efficiently finish your work from home.
1. Set short term goals: Nothing is harder than looking at a long-term goal and attempting to achieve it when you feel unmotivated. Instead, start small by setting easier and more frequent goals so that you can take things step-by-step. For instance, instead of trying to read 60 books per year, a short term goal would be trying to read two chapters before bed.
2. Make a schedule: In setting short term goals, it is important to detail and write down exactly what you want to achieve. Make a daily schedule by writing down which tasks you would do at what time. Additionally, it would be helpful to write it up in a To-do list format, so you are able to clearly see what you have done and what you need to do.
3. Declutter: Make sure your study or workspace is clean and uncluttered. Your workspace can reflect your mental state. The more open and organised your work area is, the clearer your mind is. In doing so, you can feel more motivated to your work, come up with new ideas and raise the quality of your work. Keep only the essentials on your desk – a few pens, highlighters, a notepad and your device of choice.
4. Take appropriate breaks: Working continuously for a long period of time is draining, and towards the end of your work period, you will find that the quality of your work is no longer up to standard. Overworking yourself can also lead to a burnout and a loss of motivation. Thus, it is important to take breaks to let yourself recover and refresh. Take small five minute breaks every hour to stay productive – whether it be just stretching, pacing around the room or getting a glass of water.
5. Practice self-care: Keeping yourself mentally and physically healthy is essential to working effectively. A healthy body and mind encourages you to stay productive throughout the day. It is important to get at least 20 minutes of exercise in everyday to keep your mind clear – even if it’s just walking around the neighbourhood. Another activity to do is to practice meditation before bed or after you wake up to clear your headspace and prepare yourself to concentrate for a full day of work. Apps such as Headspace will help you do this by setting you up with relevant and appropriate exercises.
With these five handy tips, Team EBR would like to wish you the best during your work-at-home journey.